Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Sam Halliday
Subject Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields
Date
Re: RFE: Transparent encryption on all fields  (tomas@tuxteam.de)
List pgsql-hackers

Tomas Zerolo wrote:

> Note that I'm not talking about stealing the hardware, but hijacking,
> trojanizing, whatever. That's the real threat, in this
> Javascript/Flash/Silverlight infested world.

I'm still talking about theft of machines (particularly laptops) as that is
a major threat. One need only read the British newspapers to discover story
after story of articles where "sensitive information was on a laptop which
was stolen". As pointed out elsewhere, psql + encrypted drive is entirely
unpractical as no OS is setup to ask for an encrypted drive password on boot
(similarly for headless machines, user interaction is required). A practical
solution that accomplishes the same goals as the encrypted drive is
necessary.