Re: Let's create a release team - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Let's create a release team
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org> writes:
> Is the process documented?  Any set procedure?  Who knows how to do
> it?

Er ... nope, nope, the core bunch ...

> Is 'core' the same as 'steering'?

Yes, the webpage takes some license here.  'core' is the most common
terminology for the-usual-suspects.  I'm not sure where 'steering'
came from, but it's the same suspects...

> If these things are not documented, they should be.

Most of the undocumented details of the release process are in the heads
of Marc Fournier and Bruce Momjian.  If either of them falls off the end
of the earth, we have worse troubles than whether we remember how to do
a release --- for example: Marc owns, runs, and pays for the
postgresql.org servers.  (Me, I just hack code, so I'm replaceable.)
But if you want to try to document the process better, there are some
details written down already (eg, src/tools/RELEASE_CHANGES) and I'm
sure Marc and Bruce would cooperate in writing down more.