Re: qsort, once again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: qsort, once again
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Darcy Buskermolen <darcy@wavefire.com> writes:
> On Thursday 16 March 2006 12:09, Tom Lane wrote:
>> So we still have a problem of software archaeology: who added the
>> insertion sort switch to the NetBSD version, and on what grounds?

> This is when that particular code was pushed in, as to why exactly, you'll
> have to ask mycroft.
> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/lib/libc/stdlib/qsort.c.diff?r1=1.3&r2=1.4&only_with_tag=MAIN

Interesting.  It looks to me like he replaced the former
vaguely-Knuth-based coding with B&M's code, but kept the insertion-
sort-after-no-swap special case that was in the previous code.  I'll
betcha he didn't test to see whether this was actually such a great
idea ...