Re: TRUNCATE TABLE - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: TRUNCATE TABLE
Date
Re: TRUNCATE TABLE  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Re: TRUNCATE TABLE  (Adriaan van Os <postgres@microbizz.nl>)
List pgsql-performance
Adriaan van Os <postgres@microbizz.nl> writes:
> I started another test. I copied an existing database (not very large,
> 35 tables, typically a few hundred up to a few thousand records) with
> CREATE DATABASE testdb TEMPLATE mydb and started to remove random
> tables from testdb with DROP TABLE and TRUNCATE TABLE. I did this with
> the query tool of pgAdmin III, to exclude any doubts about my own
> software (that uses pqlib).

Can you try it with plain psql?  pgAdmin is a variable that wasn't
accounted for in my tests.

> The hardware is an Intel dual-core 17-inch
> MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.4.

Hmm.  I thought you said Fedora before.  However, I'd done a few tests
yesterday on my own Mac laptop (Al G4) and not gotten results that were
out of line with HPUX or Fedora.

Does anyone else want to try replicating these tests?

            regards, tom lane