Re: logging settings - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: logging settings
Date
Re: logging settings  (Joachim Wieland <joe@mcknight.de>)
List pgsql-general
Mott Leroy <mott@acadaca.com> writes:
> I turned on statement logging (and duration), issued a "pg_ctl reload"
> and got it working (logging to sys log and standard out). Now however,
> when i try to turn it off, it won't turn off, using the same procedure.
> I've now commented out all the lines related to logging, but it's still
> logging.

I think you're getting bit by a standard beginner gotcha: commenting out
an entry in postgresql.conf will not change the state of a running
postmaster.  (A comment is a no-op, eh?)  You need to put in a
non-comment entry that sets the desired state.

There's been various discussions in the past about making this behavior
less non-intuitive, but nothing's been settled on ...

            regards, tom lane