Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Tuesday 27 January 2009 17:19:28 Tom Lane wrote:
>> It's a potential security hole, since GRANT ALL on a view used to
>> be de facto the same as GRANT SELECT, if you hadn't bothered to
>> create any rules.

> That is a good point.  But the only clean solution would be to make views
> never updatable by default, and invent a nonstandard syntax to make them so,
> which seems very unattractive to me.  A GUC variable as a transition measure
> could work, though.

Yeah, I tend to prefer the GUC approach over nonstandard syntax too.
We'd need a GUC anyway to determine the default behavior if no
nonstandard clause appeared; so we might as well just do that and not
bother with the syntax options.