Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
List pgsql-general
James Keener <jim@jimkeener.com> writes:
> I also think that a CoC focuses on the wrong things. If someone is disruptive, they need to be told to leave, just
likein every forum ever.

That's pretty much what the CoC *is*: it's just trying to set out an
agreed-on framework for exercising the power to ban somebody.  Up to now,
if someone was being disruptive enough that that would be a reasonable
thing to do, the decision would be taken by the core team, according to
no defined principles and with no mechanism for appeal --- nor any guards
against core abusing its power.  AFAIR, core has never actually done any
such thing, and I'd like to think that the CoC committee will never need
to ban anybody either.  But if it does come to that, we'll have a much
better governance mechanism in place for it.

            regards, tom lane