Re: core and temp files - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: core and temp files
Date
List pgsql-odbc
"Tom.Bakken" <Tom.Bakken@tx.usda.gov> writes:
> I've got a sudden hard disk space problem that appears to be related to
> core and pg_sorttemp2761.2  like files in the base/database directory.
> Can these be deleted with no ill effects?  I removed one core file
> higher in the directory structure with no ill effects.

core files can be removed, and so can sorttemp files if the creating
process (PID 2761 in this example) is no longer around.

> What's causing this?  I could set up an automatic deletion program if
> necessary.

That strikes me as institutionalizing an expectation of failure :-(.
Better to chase down why you are suffering backend crashes.  Before
you zap those core files, why not try to get stack traces from them?

            regards, tom lane