Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user
Date
List pgsql-general
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Having said that, though, I do wonder whether we couldn't bump them up a
>> little.  Are there still any live platforms where the default SHMMAX is
>> less than 4 MB?  (There was discussion of this a month or two back on
>> pghackers, but no conclusion.)

> Could we have per-platforms defaults?

Hmm, that might be a nice solution.  Could we arrange for the template
file to supply defaults for shared_buffers and so forth?  They'd have
to be inserted into postgresql.conf during installation or initdb, but
we already do some editing of postgresql.conf during initdb ...

            regards, tom lane