Re: Re: pg v. 8.4.5 misses objects and data after restoring from backup using wal - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: pg v. 8.4.5 misses objects and data after restoring from backup using wal
Date
List pgsql-admin
Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com> writes:
> Unless I misread his earlier post, he is starting the backup, copying files, stopping the backup, and expecting those
transactions(between start & stop) to be applied, even though files changed during that time (including WAL files) have
notall been copied. Again, unless I misread his earlier post, he is *not* copying WAL that was generated between start
&stop.

If that's the case, it just plain won't work.  You can either shut down
the postmaster and copy a static set of files, or you can apply WAL to a
base backup that was taken from a live database.  There is no way to get
consistent results from a backup of a live database without applying all
the WAL that was generated while the backup was being taken.

            regards, tom lane