Re: BUG #16939: Plural interval for negative singular - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #16939: Plural interval for negative singular
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 12:45:34PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I agree with Noah's opinion that we should stick to the historical
>> behavior in the interval I/O functions.  There is not enough solidity
>> in the "this is grammatically wrong" argument to justify taking any
>> risk of application breakage, and it seems like there is some risk of
>> that there.

> Are you saying we should revert the patch and leave the plurals
> inconsistent in different places?

As far as the changes in datetime.c and interval.c are concerned,
yes.  I don't care too much about what you did in fe-print.c,
although TBH that case should be unreachable shouldn't it?
When would PQntuples() return -1?

(I shy gently away from the fact that that fe-print.c code is
relentlessly untranslatable.)

            regards, tom lane