Re: Certification

From: Michael Meskes
Subject: Re: Certification
Date: ,
List: pgsql-advocacy

Tree view

Certification  (Michael Meskes, )
 Re: Certification  (, )
 Re: Certification  (Bob Lunney, )
  Re: Certification  (Luca Ferrari, )
  Re: Certification  (, )
   Re: [MASSMAIL]Re: Certification  ("Gilberto Castillo", )
   Re: Certification  (Bob Lunney, )
  Re: Certification  (Jaime Casanova, )
   Re: Certification  (Sameer Kumar, )
    Re: Certification  (julyanto SUTANDANG, )
    Re: Certification  (David Fetter, )
     Re: Certification  (Sameer Kumar, )
 Re: Certification  (Josh Berkus, )
  Re: Certification  (Michael Meskes, )
 Re: Certification  (Josh Berkus, )
  Re: [MASSMAIL]Re: Certification  ("Gilberto Castillo", )
   Re: [MASSMAIL]Re: Certification  (Michael Meskes, )
  Re: Certification  (, )
  Re: Certification  (Robert Haas, )
   Re: Certification  (Michael Meskes, )
    Re: Certification  (Robert Haas, )
     Certification In Cuba  ("Gilberto Castillo", )
     Re: Certification  (julyanto SUTANDANG, )
      Re: Certification  (Joshua Kramer, )
       Re: Certification  ("Gunnar \"Nick\" Bluth", )
       Re: Certification  (Sameer Kumar, )
        Re: Certification  (Michael Meskes, )
       Re: Certification  (Michael Meskes, )
     Re: Certification  (Michael Meskes, )
      Re: Certification  (Robert Haas, )
     Re: Certification  (Michael Meskes, )
  Re: Certification  (Michael Meskes, )
   Re: Certification  (Jean-Paul Argudo, )
 Re: Certification  (Josh Berkus, )
 Re: Certification  (Jaime Casanova, )
  Re: [MASSMAIL]Re: Certification  ("Gilberto Castillo", )
   Re: [MASSMAIL]Re: Certification  (Michael Meskes, )
 Re: Certification  (Josh Berkus, )
  Re: [MASSMAIL]Re: Certification  ("Gilberto Castillo", )
  Re: Certification  (PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig<>, )

Robert Haas wrote:
> I think you're reading something into what I wrote that wasn't really there.

Great to hear. As you can see from my question I didn't really believe my
interpretation myself. Thanks for clarifying.

> How would they develop such a course, except with the help of
> PostgreSQL community members?

Right, they need somebody who knows PostgreSQL good enough. I'll grant you
that. However, that somebody does not necessarily have be involved with the
community.

> I am not sure that certification has much use apart from such
> commercial details.  I would not personally be willing to spend time
> developing curriculum for a certification unless somebody paid me to
> do it.  And the only reason that I can imagine somebody paying me to
> do it is if it increased the value of a training class which the
> person or organization paying that money was also providing.

Fair enough.

> Now, it could be that I just need a better imagination.  However, in
> my experience, curriculum development is a lot of work.  If it's done
> for free, I think it's not likely to be high quality.  And if it's
> high quality, I think it will be because people with experience in
> both PostgreSQL and curriculum development got paid to spend a lot of
> time creating it, and then more time updating it each time a new
> release comes out.  I would be very happy if someone volunteered to do
> all of that work on an ongoing basis for no money and then did a great
> job.  I would be even happier if some company volunteered to fund that
> work on an ongoing basis in a way that benefited not only that company
> but the whole community.  Although I would be happy about those

This is exactly what the Linux Foundation  seems to be offering, is it not?

> outcomes, I do not think that they are likely.  We can seek volunteers
> for small tasks, but for things that take really large chunks of time
> people usually need to be paid.

Nobody expects us to do anything but in a sense endorse it.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Meskes at (Debian|Postgresql) dot Org