Re: Appetite for `SELECT ... EXCLUDE`? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Appetite for `SELECT ... EXCLUDE`?
Date
List pgsql-general
Nikhil Benesch <nikhil.benesch@gmail.com> writes:
> Both DuckDB and Snowflake, as of recently, support a nonstandard `EXCLUDE`
> clause in the SELECT list to allow excluding fields from a wildcard [0] [1].

> Example from the DuckDB announcement [2]:

>    SELECT * EXCLUDE (jar_jar_binks, midichlorians) FROM star_wars

> Is there any appetite for adding this feature to PostgreSQL?

This has been discussed before and not gone anywhere, e.g. [1] [2].
I think there have been more threads but that was all I found in a
quick archive search.  Anyway, as those threads illustrate, there is a
lot of room for variation in how you spell it, where you can write it,
and so on.  My own inclination is to not do anything here until/unless
the SQL committee standardizes something, because there's too much
risk of finding ourselves incompatible with the standard.

            regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/d51371a2-f221-1cf3-4a7d-b2242d4dafdb%40gmail.com
[2]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CANcm6wbR3EG7t-G%3DTxy64Yt8nR6YbpzFRuTewJQ%2BkCq%3DrZ8M2A%40mail.gmail.com