Re: Fix for HP-UX shared library builds - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Giles Lean
Subject Re: Fix for HP-UX shared library builds
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:

> I am hesitant to apply it to 7.3 since that would mean (I think) an
> incompatible renaming of the shlib, which we'd best avoid on a minor
> release, no?  What will happen for existing users of 7.3 if we do put
> this in 7.3.2?

I had been thinking that HP-UX PostgreSQL users had a flag day every
time they upgraded PostgreSQL, but it's not that bad: they only have a
flag day when the library major version changes (or should have, in
the 7.3 case :-) when all clients need to be rebuilt.

I'll investigate and find out what happens when a client linked
against libpq.sl finds that has turned into a symbolic link. I think
the dynamic loader will follow the link, but I'm guessing. :-(

As an alternative to risking change on the 7.3.x branch, perhaps a
note in FAQ_HPUX noting the problem and that an upgrade to 7.4 will
require (like all releases to date) recompiling all clients would be
better.

Ciao,

Giles