Re: libpq 8.4 beta1: $PGHOST complains about missing root.crt - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: libpq 8.4 beta1: $PGHOST complains about missing root.crt
Date
Re: libpq 8.4 beta1: $PGHOST complains about missing root.crt
List pgsql-bugs
Martin Pitt <mpitt@debian.org> writes:
> I do see the benefit of failing to connect to an SSL-enabled server
> *if* I have a root.crt which doesn't match. But why fail if I don't
> have one?

I think I agree with Martin on this.  The server doesn't fail if you
don't provide it a root cert; it just doesn't try to trace client certs
to the root.  It is not apparent why the client should be stricter than
that, and definitely not apparent why such strictness should be the
default behavior.

            regards, tom lane