Re: [GENERAL] Call for alpha testing: planner statistics revisions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Call for alpha testing: planner statistics revisions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Ed Loehr <efl@pobox.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> * ANALYZE is now available as a separate command; you can run it without
>> also doing a VACUUM.  (Of course, VACUUM ANALYZE still works.)

> What is the impact of this newly isolated ANALYZE command on the need
> and/or frequency for VACUUMs?

None really.  By the time 7.2 is out, I expect we will also have a
more lightweight form of VACUUM, and so running VACUUM ANALYZE as a
reasonably frequent background operation will still be the norm.