Re: PITR Archive Recovery plus WIP PITR - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PITR Archive Recovery plus WIP PITR
Date
Re: PITR Archive Recovery plus WIP PITR  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-patches
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think that judgment is exactly backward.  *Not* having timelines is
>> what will cause serious and possibly fatal mistakes during restore:
>> people will hand the wrong xlog files to restore and the software will
>> be unable to recognize the inconsistency.

> I assume they could just restore from backup and try again.

Sure, if they don't mind losing whatever transactions they processed
before realizing how broken their database was.  That's not going to be
an acceptable answer for the sort of installations that need PITR in the
first place.

I think it's really important to get this right the first time, both for
reliability's sake and because we are expecting people to write their
own archiving scripts.  If we change the xlog segment naming convention
later on, then we will break all those scripts.

            regards, tom lane