Re: BUG #13440: unaccent does not remove all diacritics - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #13440: unaccent does not remove all diacritics
Date
Re: BUG #13440: unaccent does not remove all diacritics  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
> On 2015-09-02 19:33:00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think it would be good to have a discussion someplace more widely read
>> than the -bugs list.  -hackers or -general would be the place to find
>> out if this sort of change is widely acceptable.

> I'm fine with doing that - but my impression from this thread was that
> the only thing we're unsure about is wether to backpatch this change?
> Weren't you pretty close to backpatching it?

No, not after someone pointed out that it could have strange side-effects
on full text search configurations that used unaccent.  You'd stop being
able to find documents whenever your search term is stripped of accents
more thoroughly than before.  That might be all right in a new major
release (if it documents that you might have to rebuild your FTS indexes
and derived tsvector columns).  It's not all right in a minor release.

            regards, tom lane