Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/interfaces/ecpg ChangeLog preproc/ec ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/interfaces/ecpg ChangeLog preproc/ec ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Michael Meskes <meskes@postgresql.org> writes:
> [Moved to hackers}
> On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 04:14:47PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> preproc.y:5330: fatal error: maximum table size (32767) exceeded
>>
>> This is with
>> $ bison -V
>> GNU Bison version 1.28

> I'm using bison 1.35, but get the same error.

1.35?  Sounds like bison development has become active again.  It was
stuck at 1.28 for a *long* time.

> It seems that there are only one or two projects ever to hit that limit.
> But it appears to be a hardcoded limit inside bison. It seems I hit that
> limit with the latest changes.
> Right now I'm removing some simple rules to get under it again, but we
> will certainly hit it again in the very near future.

Yes.  Maybe we should contact the Bison developers and lobby for an
increase in the standard value.  I don't mind saying "you must use
Bison 1.36 or newer to rebuild the Postgres grammar" ... but having to
say "you must use a nonstandardly patched Bison" would really suck :-(