Re: [HACKERS] Fix linking of OpenLDAP libraries - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Fix linking of OpenLDAP libraries
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Static links are going to require it on every platform, not just AIX.
> The question do we want to ask is how easy do we want to make static
> linking, because the same treatment will have to apply to -lssl,
> -lcrypto, -lkrb5, -lk5crypto and quite possibly others. Do we really
> want to go there?

Well, we already have a solution for static linking within the PG build
environment, the question is do we wish to export it.  Given the lack of
complaints to date, I think not.  Do we really want to encourage anyone
to statically link libraries that don't belong to their project?  It's
not only the build-time dependency hell, it's the difficulty of
installing library updates.  There's a reason why dynamic link is the
default on all modern platforms.

            regards, tom lane