Re: PITR Archive Recovery plus WIP PITR - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PITR Archive Recovery plus WIP PITR
Date
Re: PITR Archive Recovery plus WIP PITR  (Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au>)
List pgsql-patches
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> what's not (yet)
>> - Timelines...though I think they are useful, they may not be critical

> I am not fond of the timeline idea, especially for 7.5.  Let's get usage
> cases submitted first.  I can imagine timelines as causing significant
> confusion during restore, which is the last thing we want to do.

I think that judgment is exactly backward.  *Not* having timelines is
what will cause serious and possibly fatal mistakes during restore:
people will hand the wrong xlog files to restore and the software will
be unable to recognize the inconsistency.

We really need to get this right the first time.

            regards, tom lane