Re: [HACKERS] Updating column on row update - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Updating column on row update
Date
List pgsql-general
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Yes, I'd expect the user to custom-code it, because it's not clear
>> exactly which properties the script would be depending on and which
>> ones it's okay to allow to vary.  To take just one example, is it
>> okay if the object ownership is different from current user?

> Yeah, that's an area which I figured would require some discussion.
> The best behavior isn't immediately clear to me in that regard.  I
> didn't figure that arriving at some decision on that was necessarily
> an insurmountable obstacle.

The reason a script-driven solution seems attractive is exactly that
there doesn't seem to be a good one-size-fits-all behavior for complex
objects.

> There was, up-thread, discussion by multiple people of the desire to
> have CINE for tables.  Andrew's example was specifically about an
> alternative way of spelling that.  This branch of the thread has been
> all about exactly that.  (Well, at least in my head.)

I thought the thread was about CREATE LANGUAGE.  If you want to discuss
CINE in general it would probably be appropriate to start a different
thread about that.

            regards, tom lane