Re: Slow Inserts on 1 table? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Slow Inserts on 1 table?
Date
List pgsql-general
"John D. Burger" <john@mitre.org> writes:
>> Your running 7.2? That is all kinds of level of... huh? Why?

> I'm not running it, my organization is.  Not sure how to interpret "all
> kinds of level of..."  Are there any huge suckages that I can use to
> leverage an update?  I'm familiar with some of the smaller ones.

Lots, what does it take to get their attention?  Feature-wise, there are
such small matters as schemas.  Performance-wise, there are quite a lot
of improvements since 7.2.  Security-wise, there are unfixable holes
in 7.2 (try "select cash_out(2)").

I hope you're at least on 7.2.8, else you are also vulnerable to a
number of data-loss-grade bugs.  I don't recall at the moment whether
there were any data-loss issues that we deemed unfixable in 7.2.*, but
it wouldn't surprise me.

Try perusing the release notes at
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/release.html
for ammunition.