Re: initdb createuser commands - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: initdb createuser commands
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/31/16 9:50 AM, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> He's getting a lot of pushback that really feels it's coming from the
> wrong direction.  "Just learn it."  "It's always been this way."  "No
> one agrees with you."  These arguments are unconvincing.  That said,
> there's nothing wrong with just saying, "we're not going to change it
> because we don't want to."

The community often does a horrible job of viewing things through the
eyes of a new user. This is why mysql became so popular for a while.
Comments like "just learn it" are unproductive and push new users away.

And we wonder why we're having trouble attracting new developers...

This has actually been discussed recently on -hackers as well[1], and
there is some general consensus that simplification in this area would
be a good idea.

1:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20160826202911.GA320593@alvherre.pgsql
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461