Re: postmaster7.3b5 service in Win2k cannot work properl - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From Craig Addleman
Subject Re: postmaster7.3b5 service in Win2k cannot work properl
Date
List pgsql-cygwin
Although I can't say whether you've encountered a problem with the Cygwin
port of Postgres 7.3 or a faulty installation, I can share a solution we
came up with for our fleet of tablet PCs running 7.2. All too often the
postmaster service won't start up if a machine crashes (due to a low battery
or an OS problem) because of a stale pid file. You'll find in the Windows
2000 Resources Kit a utility called autoexnt.exe that will run commands
prior to service startup and user login. We use it to run a batch file that
deletes a stale pid file if one exists, then starts the postmaster service.

See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;243486& for
details on setting up autoexnt.exe.

Craig Addleman DBA
Sharchive LLC

-----Original Message-----
From: William.Jiang [mailto:jiang_sir@yahoo.com.cn]
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 6:29 PM
To: pgsql-cygwin@postgresql.org
Subject: [CYGWIN] postmaster7.3b5 service in Win2k cannot work properly

Hi,all
   I encounter a serious problem. I have made postmaster(7.3b5) run as a
service in Win2k using cygrunsrv. But everytime I shutdown windows properly
and then start it.postmaster service cannot start . It leave a
postmaster.pid in the data directory and ipc cannot be realeased properly .
I have to remove the postmaster.pid myself and restart ipc-daemon.
  How can I make it work properly!
Wish your kind help!
Best wishes!
Yours, William