Re: Vote on Windows installer links - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Mike Ellsworth
Subject Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Folks,
Not to divert, subvert or otherwise vert, but maybe the time has
arrived where squeezing this lemon could be productive.

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Simon Riggs<simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 11:41 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Overall: your posts on this list for the last few days (frankly, the
>> last few weeks) have taken on the appearance of a vendetta.
>
> I would ask you now why it is that we should act to remove a company's
> links on the training pages, yet do nothing to remove EDB's links on the
> installer pages? Why is complaining about a training company acceptable,
> yet saying anything involving EDB a vendetta?

1) I'll make a monetary contribution to the general coffers.
2) Find a wikigeek
3) Rearrange, make cool the home page of the wiki:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Main_Page
so that it is a more effective 'start page', as with
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
4) Make sure there are direct listings for categories such as
Commercial/Businesses/Developers.
5) Make a few Info boxes and Templates that can be easily adapted or
included.  Now, it is a pain & requires more effort than necessary to
create new wiki pages that are not butt-ugly.

This will level the playing field for small vs 'big', which I believe
will help promote the cause.  Like it or not, marketing needs to be
part of the mix - but - it could be done off the main site while
giving significant exposure to the project & those entrepreneurial
vendors that are willing to assume the risks of building a business
around PostgreSQL.

Make the wiki more accessible and easier to use - and over time (not
immediately), the general discussion about "fair vs unfair" will
become moot.

My $.02,
with an additional $499.98 available.

Mike Ellsworth