Postgresql 9.4 and ZFS? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Benjamin Smith
Subject Postgresql 9.4 and ZFS?
Date
Re: Postgresql 9.4 and ZFS?
Re: Postgresql 9.4 and ZFS?
Re: Postgresql 9.4 and ZFS?
List pgsql-general
Does anybody here have any recommendations for using PostgreSQL 9.4 (latest)
with ZFS?

We've been running both on ZFS/CentOS 6 with excellent results, and are
considering putting the two together. In particular, the CoW nature (and
subsequent fragmentation/thrashing) of ZFS becomes largely irrelevant on SSDs;
the very act of wear leveling on an SSD is itself a form of intentional
thrashing that doesn't affect performance since SSDs have no meaningful seek
time. It would seem that PGCon  2013 even had a workshop on it!
https://www.pgcon.org/2013/schedule/events/612.en.html

The exact configuration we're contemplating is either (3x 400 RAIDZ1) or (4x
400 RAIDZ2) with Intel Enterprise SATA3 SSDs, with default (lz4) compression
enabled.

If this is a particularly good or bad idea, I'd like to hear it, and why?

Thanks,

BenP