Re: ISO8601 vs POSIX offset clarification - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ISO8601 vs POSIX offset clarification
Date
List pgsql-general
Bharanee Rathna <deepfryed@gmail.com> writes:
> the documentation around how numeric offsets are parsed from strings is a
> bit confusing, are they supposed to be treated as ISO8601 or POSIX ?

Our documentation about this says clearly that Postgres considers offsets
to be ISO (positive-east-of-Greenwich) everywhere except in POSIX-style
time zone names.

> The Table 8-12. Time Zone Input section at
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/datatype-datetime.html seems to
> imply that numeric offsets would be treated as ISO8601.

How do you read an entry such as

    -8:00    |    ISO-8601 offset for PST

as being in any way vague about which convention the "-8" is read in?

            regards, tom lane