Re: soundex and metaphone - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: soundex and metaphone
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Jonah H. Harris" <jharris@tvi.edu> writes:
> At a minimum I think we should support soundex in the core.  I'm willing
> to move soundex and metaphone into the backend.  Does anyone see a
> reason not to do so?

Is it really ready for prime time?  For one thing, a quick look shows no
evidence of being multibyte-ready.  There's a fair amount of cleanup of
random private coding conventions (META_MALLOC!?) to be done too.

Doug's point is valid: there's some actual work needed here, not just
arguing to shove the code from point A to point B.