Re: Can we delete the vacuumdb.sgml notes about which version each option was added in? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Can we delete the vacuumdb.sgml notes about which version each option was added in?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> writes:
> On Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 10:14:35PM +1200, David Rowley wrote:
>> Does anyone think we should keep these?

> I don't know if I'd support removing the notes, but I agree that they
> don't need to take up anywhere near as much space as they do (especially
> since the note is now repeated 10 times).

I agree with removing the notes.  It has always been our policy that
you should read the version of the manual that applies to the version
you're running.  I can see leaving a compatibility note around for a
long time when it's warning you that some behavior changed compared
to what the same syntax used to do.  But if a switch simply isn't
there in some older version, that's not terribly dangerous or hard to
figure out.

> I suggest to remove the <note> markup and preserve the annotation about
> version compatibility.  It's normal, technical writing to repeat the
> same language like that.

Another way could be to move them all into a "Compatibility" section.
But +1 for just dropping them.