Re: "Too far out of the mainstream" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Geert Mak
Subject Re: "Too far out of the mainstream"
Date
List pgsql-general
> A response to this sort of question from the .org TLD redelegation is
> still available online:
> http://archive.icann.org/en/tlds/org/questions-to-applicants-13.htm#Response13TheInternetSocietyISOC.
> The details in that answer are all obsolete, of course, since it's
> from several years (and Postgres versions) ago, but you can use it as
> a cheat sheet in formulating your answer.  For what it's worth, .org
> was redelegated from Verisign to Public Interest Registry, and the
> resulting system used PostgreSQL (instead of Oracle).
>
> There are more recent community marketing materials around, but I
> thought I'd point you to this one because the kind of pressure we were
> under at the time was pretty much exactly as you're describing.

There is this case studies section as well -

http://www.postgresql.org/about/casestudies/

Which appear to me a little old and a little too little, one could try to add more, perhaps.

Also the limitations page is interesting -

http://www.postgresql.org/about/

Also you have what people say about it -

http://www.postgresql.org/about/quotesarchive/

And awards -

http://www.postgresql.org/about/awards/

We have been using PostgreSQL for about 10 years and are currently developing quite big data crunching application
whichshould handle between 25 and 100 million objects which go over object-relational mapping and may easily have 20-30
propertieseach, so we might go into 2-3 billion rows. We have a master database which is replicated via asynchronous
streamingreplication into read-only slaves, where the data crunching takes place. The whole setup runs on cloud
servers,so it is easy to add more slaves when more capacity is needed.

I should say, indeed, the fame of PostgreSQL is quite smaller than its qualities. But I guess that's the fate of most
professionalthings which simply work, like vim.

Our approach is that we are a solutions provider, and we use each successful project as a reference and we sign with
ourheads, that it will work. But I guess your situation is slightly different.