Re: Proposed patch: make pg_dump --data-only consider FK constraints - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proposed patch: make pg_dump --data-only consider FK constraints
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> The other reason to think NOTICE might be better is that it's something which,
> if it occurs once, will always occur for that database. So a sysadmin will
> become inured to seeing WARNING on his backups. Are there any other warning
> conditions which could occur spontaneously that this would mask?

[ shrug ... ]  Seems I'm outvoted, so NOTICE it will be.

> One minor thought -- surely the main use case for data-only dumps is for
> importing into another brand of database. In which case the message seems a
> bit awkward -- it could talk generically about disabling or dropping the
> constraints and then have a hint to indicate how to do that with Postgres.

I'm not convinced that data-only dumps are used mainly for that purpose.
In any case I don't want to turn this message into a paragraph;
mentioning all the things you might do about it in a Postgres context is
already making it longer than I would like...