Re: [DOCS] Questionable tag usage - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [DOCS] Questionable tag usage
Date
List pgsql-docs
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 3:46 AM, Jürgen Purtz <juergen@purtz.de> wrote:
>> (1) There is a general distinction in the meaning of the two elements:
>> <xref> is an internal link with validation semantic whereas <link> is an
>> external link to any URL. See:
>> http://doccookbook.sourceforge.net/html/en/dbc.markup.xref-vs-link.html

> Eh, we use both <link> and <xref> for internal links and surely want
> both to be validated.  If that's no longer happening I don't think it
> will be long before it bites us.

I think that is talking about something different, namely the difference
between linkend and href properties.  linkend points to a tag in the
current document, and AFAIK it behaves the same in <link> or <xref>.
href is used for external links.

The author of the cited page may believe that <link linkend=...> is bad
style, but he doesn't say that in so many words, and even if he did
I'm not sure I would agree.

            regards, tom lane