Re: WIP - syslogger infrastructure changes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: WIP - syslogger infrastructure changes
Date
Re: WIP - syslogger infrastructure changes
List pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> AIUI the problem is that when logging_collector is on, we throw away
>> the original stderr. �That's OK as long as you never try to switch
>> back to it.

> BTW, this seems like it could be fixed with some appropriate file
> descriptor management in postmaster.  No?

Yeah, probably.  In the current system design it didn't seem to be
necessary because collecting the collector process's own stderr output
is usually not all that critical.  If we had the postmaster dup its
original stderr and the collector dup it back, that would be a more
complete but more complex solution.  (dup2 works on Windows, no?)