Re: garbage in psql -l - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: garbage in psql -l
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> writes:
> The following patch adds in an nl_langinfo(CODESET) check in
> addition to the existing client encoding check.

I think the consensus is pretty clear that we should just set the
default linestyle to ascii and not try to be cute with it.  (I had
already committed a patch to that effect before I saw your message.)

The right way for people who want to see the nice graphics is to put
"\pset linestyle unicode" into their .psqlrc.  At this point I think
the only open issue is whether to try to fix things so that .psqlrc
will be executed for non-interactive cases like -c/-l.  (Hm, is
.psqlrc executed for "psql -f file"?  Should it be?)