Re: [HACKERS] Create language syntax is not proper in pg_dumpall andnot working using pg_upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Create language syntax is not proper in pg_dumpall andnot working using pg_upgrade
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 07/25/2017 10:24 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2017-07-25 13:18:25 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:

> Yes, and?  We can try to address countless intentionally unsupported
> edge-cases, but it's going to cost code, complexity and time. And very
> likely it's going to add hard to find, test and address bugs. pg_dump is
> complicated as is, I don't think trying to address every conceivable
> weirdness is a good idea. There's plenty more fundamental things wrong
> (e.g. DDL concurrent with a dump sometimes breaking that dump).
>
> I'm not sure what you're arguing for here.

Isn't the simplest solution just to actually document this? Code is not
documentation except for those reading code. End users, sql developers,
DBAs etc, should never have to open doxygen.postgresql.org to figure
this stuff out.

JD

Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://pgconf.us
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****