Re: BUG #16279: Permissions doc incorrect for pg_buffercache - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #16279: Permissions doc incorrect for pg_buffercache
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Philip Semanchuk <philip@americanefficient.com> writes:
> On Feb 26, 2020, at 12:11 PM, Sergei Kornilov <sk@zsrv.org> wrote:
>> You are right, in contrib/pg_buffercache/pg_buffercache--1.2--1.3.sql we have
>> GRANT EXECUTE ON FUNCTION pg_buffercache_pages() TO pg_monitor;
>> GRANT SELECT ON pg_buffercache TO pg_monitor;
>> Not pg_read_all_stats. I'm not sure: we need change the extension or fix the documentation? I think
pg_read_all_statswould be more appropriate, but we need bump the extension version.

> Thanks for exploring and confirming! I agree that pg_read_all_stats would be more appropriate.

Looking at the original discussion, it seems clear that the choice of
pg_monitor was intentional; see in particular

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BOCxowV7eL-DS1Hr-h5N7Tr8Gvn5VGW%2B%2BYJ2yo6wMN9H3n9Gg%40mail.gmail.com

So I think the code is correct and the documentation is a typo.
That's a much easier answer to back-patch, as well.

            regards, tom lane