Re: Alternate Location - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Alternate Location
Date
List pgsql-novice
Jason Davis <jdavis@tassie.net.au> writes:
> I'm having some trouble getting the alternate location option for createdb
> to work. I have an environment variable PGDATA2 which contains the value
> "/u2/pgdata" which is a directory owned by pgsql and is writeable.

One thing that's often missed is that the environment variable must
exist in the *postmaster*'s environment; whether it exists in your
client psql environment is irrelevant.  The reason is that the
environment var is being used as a crude form of security --- we
want the DBA to have decided which alternate locations are OK, not
the user.  So the DBA (postgres user) must set up the environment
var before starting the postmaster.

If that ain't it, we'll need more details...

            regards, tom lane