Re: PostgreSQL crashes with Qmail-SQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL crashes with Qmail-SQL
Date
Re: PostgreSQL crashes with Qmail-SQL  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
>> No such file??  Hard to believe that that could happen while the
>> postmaster was still running.  Unless something else had decided to
>> delete the socket file from /tmp.  The postmaster certainly would not
>> do it.

> This provides an interesting lead.  There's at least one linux
> distribution which does this.  Part of the cron'd maintenance scripts
> delete all the files in /tmp, and therefore play havoc....

Yeah, I do recall that some versions had a tmp-scrubber that didn't make
any exception for socket files.  But it's kind of a big coincidence to
assume that would happen just while Michael was running his benchmark.
Not sure I credit it.