Re: libpq host/hostaddr/conninfo inconsistencies - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: libpq host/hostaddr/conninfo inconsistencies
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> writes:
>> My only complaint about this is that it makes it sound like you *must*
>> provide "host", even when giving "hostaddr":

> That is the idea, "hostaddr" is moslty never needed.

Sure, you only need it if you want to bypass DNS lookup, but if you
do that, you don't necessarily need to give "host" as well.  Changing
the documentation to imply that you do would not be an improvement.

> It is the initial misleading issue I've been complaining about: one can
> specify an IP *both* in host (although it is not documented) and in
> hostaddr... and when both are provided, things started being messy

Indeed, but the verbiage being suggested here actually encourages
people to do that, by falsely implying that they have to supply
both parameters.