Re: Real vs Int performance

From: Tom Lane
Subject: Re: Real vs Int performance
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Real vs Int performance  (David Greco, )
 Re: Real vs Int performance  ("Kevin Grittner", )
 Re: Real vs Int performance  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: Real vs Int performance  (David Greco, )
   Re: Real vs Int performance  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: Real vs Int performance  (Shaun Thomas, )
     Re: Real vs Int performance  (Mladen Gogala, )
  Re: Real vs Int performance  ("Igor Neyman", )

David Greco <> writes:
> Right you are. Kettle is turning the number(11) field from Oracle into
> a BigNumber, which is a decimal. If I cast the field into an Integer
> in Kettle and keep the field an integer in Postgres, I get good
> performance. Suspect the correct course of action would simply be to
> make number(11) fields in Oracle numeric(11,0) fields in Postgres.

Not if you can persuade the client-side code to output integers as
integers.  "numeric" type is orders of magnitude slower than integers.

            regards, tom lane