RCA for MemoryContextAlloc: invalid request size(Known Issue) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From yogvinder
Subject RCA for MemoryContextAlloc: invalid request size(Known Issue)
Date
Re: RCA for MemoryContextAlloc: invalid request size(Known Issue)
List pgsql-general
Hi All,

I am having multiple postgresql 7.3(pretty old version now) on rhel4
servers.

I am getting the error MemoryContextAlloc: invalid request size on many of
these servers from time to time.

On crawling through net, I have found that its because of some bad word
value in a variable length field which implies database corruption. A
possible solution to recover database is by deleting the corrupted row and
then continuing till all the bad rows are deleted.

My Queries:
1) What is the root cause? Why database is getting corrupted.

2) Is any newer version or patch can take care of this issue.

3) Any other solution for the same that can update the corrupted data.

Regards,
Yogvinder Singh