Re: pg_upgrade project status - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_upgrade project status
Date
Re: pg_upgrade project status  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM> writes:
> Merlin Moncure píše v út 27. 01. 2009 v 09:47 -0500:
>> Just to clarify, does that mean that your patch has to be in for there
>> to be any chance of in-place upgrade 8.4->8.5?

> Ok, There two patch in the queue for 8.5 which will bump page layout
> version. Then we will need it.

I see nothing on the 2009-First list that requires any such thing.

In any case we've been over this ground before: we have agreed in the
past that we'd be willing to reject/postpone patches that change on-disk
data layout if in-place upgrade would otherwise be available.  I think
that space reservation is extremely far down the list of "must haves"
for getting 8.4->8.5 upgrade into place.  You should first work on an
update process that supports catalog changes, and get that committed.
Once that's in place you'll have enough political capital to prevent
changes in user data layout, and then we'd start to think about schemes
like space reservation that could relax that ground rule.