Performance issues with postgresql-8.4.0 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Sachin Kumar
Subject Performance issues with postgresql-8.4.0
Date
List pgsql-performance

Hi,

We are using postgresql-8.4.0 on 64-bit Linux machine (open-SUSE 11.x). It’s a master/slave deployment & slony-2.0.4.rc2 is used for DB replication on the slave box.

At times we have observed that postgres stops responding for several minutes, even couldn’t fetch the number of entries in a particular table. One such instance happens when we execute the following steps:

-         Add few lakh entries (~20) to table X on the master DB.

-         After addition, slony starts replication on the slave DB. It takes several minutes (~25 mins) for replication to finish.

-         During this time (while replication is in progress), sometimes postgres stops responding, i.e. we couldn’t even fetch the number of entries in any table (X, Y, etc).

Can you please let us know what could the reason for such a behavior and how it can be fixed/improved.

Regards,

Sachin