OpenMP in PostgreSQL-8.4.0 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Reydan Cankur
Subject OpenMP in PostgreSQL-8.4.0
Date
Re: OpenMP in PostgreSQL-8.4.0  (Denis Lussier <denis.lussier@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Hi,

I am trying to run postgresql functions with threads by using OpenMP. I tried to parallelize slot_deform_tuple function(src/backend/access/common/heaptuple.c) and added below lines to the code.

#pragma omp parallel
{
#pragma omp sections
{
#pragma omp section
values[attnum] = fetchatt(thisatt, tp + off);

#pragma omp section
off = att_addlength_pointer(off, thisatt->attlen, tp + off);
}
}

During ./configure I saw the information message for  heaptuple.c as below:
"OpenMP defined section was parallelized."

Below is the configure that I have run:
./configure CC="/path/to/icc -openmp" CFLAGS="-O2" --prefix=/path/to/pgsql --bindir=/path/to/pgsql/bin --datadir=/path/to/pgsql/share --sysconfdir=/path/to/pgsql/etc --libdir=/path/to/pgsql/lib --includedir=/path/to/pgsql/include --mandir=/path/to/pgsql/man --with-pgport=65432 --with-readline --without-zlib

After configure I ran gmake and gmake install and I saw "PostgreSQL installation complete."

When I begin to configure for initdb and run below command:
 /path/to/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /path/to/pgsql/data

I get following error:

The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "reydan.cankur".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale en_US.UTF-8.
The default database encoding has accordingly been set to UTF8.
The default text search configuration will be set to "english".

fixing permissions on existing directory /path/to/pgsql/data ... ok
creating subdirectories ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 100
selecting default shared_buffers ... 32MB
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in /path/to/pgsql/data/base/1 ... FATAL:  could not create unique index "pg_type_typname_nsp_index"
DETAIL:  Table contains duplicated values.
child process exited with exit code 1
initdb: removing contents of data directory "/path/to/pgsql/data"

I could not get the point between initdb process and the change that I have made.
I need your help on solution of this issue.

Thanks in advance,
Reydan