Re: Select count(*), the sequel - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Select count(*), the sequel
Date
Re: Select count(*), the sequel  ("Pierre C" <lists@peufeu.com>)
List pgsql-performance
> I don't think this is due to fillfactor - the default fillfactor is
> 100, and anyway we ARE larger on disk than Oracle.  We really need to
> do something about that, in the changes to NUMERIC in 9.1 are a step
> in that direction, but I think a lot more work is needed.

Of course, the chances of doing anything more than extremely-marginal
kluges without breaking on-disk compatibility are pretty tiny.  Given
where we are at the moment, I see no appetite for forced dump-and-reloads
for several years to come.  So I don't foresee that anything is likely
to come of such efforts in the near future.  Even if somebody had a
great idea that would make things smaller without any other penalty,
which I'm not sure I believe either.

            regards, tom lane