Re: libpq - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: libpq
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@gmail.com> writes:
> It seems not unusual for Linux distributions to supply libpq as part of a
> archiver, or RPM, which uses cpio).

AFAIK, it's standard to ship libpq plus minimum required supporting
files in a postgresql-libs or similarly named package.  Certainly the
PGDG RPMs do it that way, as do Red Hat's.

> If, instead, you are keen on getting the source code for libpq in a
> separate tarball, I'd seriously question why that would be expected to be
> valuable.  On most systems, these days, it doesn't take terribly much time
> or space (on our systems with lots of GBs) to build all of Postgres, so
> separating the source code to the library out seems like an effort with not
> much value.

We did do that, many years ago, and dropped it because the demand was
too minuscule to justify the maintenance effort.  I'd imagine that the
usefulness ratio has only gotten smaller since then.