Re: Is there a way to translate pg_amop.amopstrategy into a description? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Is there a way to translate pg_amop.amopstrategy into a description?
Date
List pgsql-general
Morris de Oryx <morrisdeoryx@gmail.com> writes:
> What I'm hoping for is a function like
> get_opt_class_strategy_description(optclass, straregy_number)  I've
> looked at the source a bit, and it seems that there is no such
> function, and that it might well be difficult to implement. The
> strategy numbers are, as far as I can see, local to the specific
> opt_class, which has no requirement to label them in any particular
> way.

That's correct.  For btree and hash, the meanings of the strategy
numbers are determined by the index AM; but for (IIRC) all of our
other index AMs they're determined by the individual opclass.  So
anything like this would have to be implemented by dedicated code
in each opclass.  Perhaps that's worth doing, but it'd be a fair
amount of work.

            regards, tom lane