Re: [HACKERS] parser dilemma - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] parser dilemma
Date
List pgsql-patches
Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb@cybertec.at> writes:
> Andrew Dunstan �rta:
>> Zoltan Boszormenyi wrote:
>>> On the other hand, marking GENERATED as %right
>>> solves this issue. I hope it's an acceptable solution.
>>
>> If anything I should have thought it would be marked %nonassoc.

> That works, too.

[ a bit alarmed... ]  This is only going to be an acceptable solution
if you can explain *exactly why* it works.  The general story with
associativity/precedence declarations is that you are making bison
resolve ambiguous situations in particular ways.  If you don't have a
100% clear understanding of what the ambiguity is and why this is the
right way to resolve it, you are probably creating a bigger problem.

            regards, tom lane