Re: PostgreSQL for VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL for VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD
Date
Re: PostgreSQL for VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD  (Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>)
Re: PostgreSQL for VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD  (Paul Koning <paulkoning@comcast.net>)
Re: PostgreSQL for VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD  (Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Sebastian Reitenbach" <sebastia@l00-bugdead-prods.de> writes:
> OK, that was easy:

> $ cd /usr/ports/databases/postgresql
> $ make install
> ===>  postgresql-client-9.3.4p0  requires shared libraries .

> OpenBSD VAX is static only, so no postgresql on OpenBSD
> VAX before shared libraries will ever be made working on it.

Ouch.  We long ago passed the point of no return as far as requiring
shared library support: there's too much backend functionality that's
in separate shared libraries rather than being linked directly into
the core executable.  I doubt anyone will be interested in taking on
the task of supporting a parallel all-static build.

I think this means we can write off VAX on NetBSD/OpenBSD as a viable
platform for Postgres :-(.  I'm sad to hear it, but certainly have
not got the cycles personally to prevent it.